• Image 1
  • Image 2
  • Image 3
  • Image 4

Excavated Civil War Navy button from Maryland

$60.00 $45.00
(You save $15.00)

Product Description

This is another nice item being offered, it is an excavated Civil War Navy button. It is a coat size (22mm) and has the American eagle perched on top of an anchor, surrounded by 13 stars. The backmark is “SCOVILL MFG CO. / WATERBURY”. The shank on the back is missing which is probably why the button was originally lost. In Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons, by Alphaeus H. Albert, this is classified as NA112. It was recovered in Maryland, along the Patapsco River – near Elkridge and Relay.

 

The B&O Railroad was the only railroad into Washington DC until after the Civil War, thus it was an essential supply train route for the Union during that time. To prevent Confederate attacks or sabotage of the bridges and the railroad, the Eighth New York and the Sixth Massachusetts regiments as well as Cook's Boston Artillery Battery took control of the area in early 1861. The Relay House itself became the occupying Union Army headquarters.

 

In 1861 General Butler and his troops encamped near the Relay House and Elkridge, along the Patapsco River, Maryland. It is situated in a deep valley, through which the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad runs and from which the hills on either side slope gradually to a height commanding a full view of the surrounding country. The Eighth New York Infantry was the first to arrive in the area, followed by the Sixth Massachusetts Infantry.


Throughout the war the Union Navy patrolled the Patapsco River and no doubt this came from one of those men. This button is in very nice condition, still having some of the original gold gilt remaining and it comes in the glass top display case pictured.

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
1130133
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout