• Image 1
  • Image 2
  • Image 3
  • Image 4

Buttons from Dunker Church, Antietam

$50.00 $35.00
(You save $15.00)

Product Description

Two original Civil War “Coin” buttons, the type which were usually associated with Confederate troops. The larger has a diameter of 1” and is made of brass with remnants of the shank on the reverse. The smaller one appears to be made of pewter, and also has remnants of the shank on the reverse. They were recovered on private property in the early1970’s next to the Dunker Church (see period photograph) at the Antietam Battlefield.

 

During the early morning hours of September 17, 1862, furious conflicts swirled here as the Union Army made several attempts to break the Confederate left flank. Union Generals Hooker, Mansfield, and Sumner would launch successive attacks toward the Confederates positioned on the slight high ground upon which this church rested. The church would become a battlefield hospital to treat the wounded and dying. The Battle of Antietam would become the single bloodiest day of the American Civil War and all of American military history, seeing nearly 23,000 casualties. The inconclusive but strategic Union victory partially politically enabled Abraham Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation.

 

These “coin” buttons, referred to as such because they literally resemble a common coin, are usually found at Confederate sites. Because of the scarcity of supplies, this was a common alternative for rebel soldiers.

 

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
0130103
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout